Despite spring on its way, do you feel a bit depressed these days?
Our friend S has come up with a very useful post about an easy way to get your body energized.
“Do you often wake up in the mornings and your body is feeling tense or tight and is in need of a good stretch. Ever thought of doing the Sun Salutation or Surya Namaskar, a yoga pose, that not only makes your body stretch out completely but comes with a long list of benefits. Its simple, enjoyable and a great way to start your day. The list of benefits is quite long and I do wonder how this one pose can be so effective. But ever since I’ve been doing the Sun Salutation in the mornings, I definitely feel more energized and ready to take on the day. Even pushing the buggy up a hill during school drop off has become easier – how good is that!!
The Sun Salutation has its origins in Hindu worship of the Sun and has been practiced in India for several hundreds of years. The Sun Salutation has a series of 12 postures, which sounds like a lot, but the trick is to let one posture flow into the other and slowly it all becomes one smooth easy sequence of motions. Try and do as many cycles as you can, honestly, they go really fast and you may end up doing 10 in just 2 minutes, which is more than enough to stretch out and feel good.
Whether you practice yoga or not, you can easily do the Sun Salutation. So try and do as many during the day, or more practically just in the mornings and feel the difference! Here is a little video to help you do it.
Here are some of the benefits of the Sun Salutation which I got from the health and yoga website, sounds too good to be true. For me, the most important being the complete and ultimate stretch:
1. Tones up the digestive system by the alternate stretching and compression of abdominal organs. It activates digestion and gets rid of constipation and dyspepsia.
2. Strengthens abdominal muscles.
3. Thoroughly ventilates the lungs, and oxygenates the blood.
4. Acts as detoxifying agent, by getting rid of enormous quantity of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases.
5. Tones up the nervous system and improves memory.
6. Promotes sleep and calms anxiety.
7. Normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands – especially the thyroid gland.
8. Refreshes the skin. Prevents Skin disorders.
9. Improves muscle flexibility.
10. In women, stimulates the breasts to help firmness normally. Restores any lost elasticity, through stimulation of glands and the strengthening of pectoral muscles.
11. Suppresses menstrual irregularity and assists in easy childbirth.
12. Prevents loss of hair and graying.
13. Helps reduce fat.
14. Reduces abnormal prominence of the Adam’s apple.
15. Eliminates unpleasant smells from the body.
16. Lends grace and ease of movements to the body.
17. Revives and maintains the spirit of youthfulness.
18. Broadens chest and beautifies arms.
19. Makes the spine and waist flexible.
And believe me if you want to see how powerful it is just try once!
Me & The Girls