Little Miss A and I were invited to a Halloween Party over the weekend (more later this week!), so I have decided to bring some Pumpkin Pie to serve to the mums and dads. Just like they serve back home. Pumpkin Pie is very easy to make and can be made in advance using either freshly cooked or canned pumpkin purée. Same for the pastry crust – fresh or store bought – though I like to use individual ready made pie shells (at larger Marks & Spencer shops).
- 2 to 3 large eggs (use 3 eggs for a soft, custardy filling, 2 for a firmer pie with more pronounced pumpkin flavour).
- 2 cups freshly cooked or canned pumpkin purée.
- 1 1/2 cups light cream OR 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup heavy cream.
- 1/2 cup sugar.
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Whisk thorough in a large bowl the 2 or 3 eggs. Further whisk thoroughly all the remaining ingredients. Pour the pumpkin mixture into your fresh pie crust (warm the pie crust in the oven until hot and then let stand at room temperature) OR into your ready made pie shell and bake (35 to 40 minutes for a pie; about 15 minutes for individual pies) until the centre of the filing seems to set but still quivery, like gelatin, when the pan is nudged. Let cool completely on a rack. The pie(s) can be served cold, at room temperature or slightly warmed. I like to serve the pies slightly warm with a large dollop of whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
Me & Little Miss A